(541) 963-5253

About Grande Hot Springs Resort

The Owners

Mike and Tamarah Rysavy met at Bagby Hot Springs in 2001. Both had an adventurous spirit and a love for hot springs. After volunteering for several years at Bagby Hot Springs and visiting more than 150 Hot Springs in the Northwest, they came across the chance to purchase their own property with hot springs. In 2013 they partnered with Jim and Daylene Hovey and purchased Grande Hot Springs Resort (formerly Eagles Hot Lake RV Resort).

 

History of RV Development

Union County approved the development of the Hot Lake Recreational Vehicle Resort in 1985 as part of a redevelopment plan for the Hot Lake property. Plans included the RV Resort, an 18 hole Golf Course, and a Geothermal Water Park. Although there were no plans to restore the dilapidated Hotel and the Golf Course and Water Park never got off the ground, the RV Resort was built in 1988.

By the mid-1990’s the Hot Lake property was once again near bankruptcy & foreclosure. In 1994 the Hot Lake property was split into several parcels. Since that time the RV Resort has had different owners from the other neighboring Hot Lake properties.

The RV Resort has water rights to the hot springs water from Hot Lake and it is used to heat all the buildings on the property, as well as all the domestic water for showers, and the pool & spa. Soaking in the 170 degree hot springs water requires it be mixed with our 77 degree well water to reach the perfect soaking temperature!

Overview of the Hot Lake Hotel

 

The famous 1906 brick hotel was once called the “Mayo Clinic of the West” and attracted visitors and patients from around the world

Hot Lake’s heyday lasted into the mid 1930’s until a devastating fire in 1934 destroyed all wooden structures, but the 1906 brick building survived.

On May 7, 1934, a fire destroyed the majority of the building’s right side, completely demolishing the wooden structures of the hotel but the brick portion of the building survived. The building had contained nearly 300 rooms and dining areas for over 1,000 guests prior to the fire. From then on, business at the hotel declined, and eventually the hospital area on the third floor was the only functioning business.

A flight school and nurse’s training center was established at the hotel during World War II, and U.S. Route 30 was later built, with Oregon Route 203 branching off of it and running right by the front of the hotel grounds. The attraction of the complex declined in later years, and its use as a resort came to a halt in 1953 when it was converted solely to a nursing home, and later an asylum. By 1975, ownership of the building had changed, and a short-lived restaurant and night club was opened, which only ran for two years.

In the mid-1980s, Dr. Lyle Griffith purchased the property and used one corner of the hotel as a bath house; within a few years the bath house closed down, and the hotel was abandoned, falling prey to local vandals and the elements.

The building sat abandoned and decrepit for over fifteen years, and various stories circulated concerning reported hauntings in the hotel’s€” it has been rumored to be haunted by old vacationers, a gardener who committed suicide, and insane people from the building’s nursing home/asylum days. When the hotel was originally constructed it acquired a piano formerly owned by Robert E. Lee’s wife, which was said to play all by itself up on the third floor. Other reports of screaming and crying were reported by owner Donna Pattee and caretaker Richard Owens coming from the hospital’s surgery room, as well as rocking chairs moving at their own accord; Pattee and her husband owned the property in the 1970s when it was a restaurant; both they and Owens lived on the second floor of the building at the time.

Books on the history of the Hot Lake Hotel are available in our office from author Dick Roth.

 

Historic Hot Springs

Located at the foot of Craig Mountain in the Grande Ronde Valley, Grande Hot Springs Resort is bordered by legendary Hot Lake. More than 2 million gallons of 186 degree water flow from the ground daily.

The hot springs themselves rest at the foot of a large bluff, and were often used by Native Americans or it’s medicinal powers before settlement and colonization occurred in the area; the lake was named “Ea-Kesh-Pa” by the Nez Perce. Later it became a popular stop for weary travelers on the Oregon Trail.

Our Gallery

tam11
« 2 of 15 »